Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Mrs' Morning Shake

Good Morning!

I thought I would share how I start my mornings off. It is delicious and easy!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup fruit (fresh or frozen - depending on the season)
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 scoop of whey protein (chocolate or vanilla)
1 heaping handful of spinach leaves


Cut up or pour the fruit into your blending cup. Right now I have been using a mixture of fresh blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries...yum! Plenty of antioxidants here my friends!

Note - if you are using frozen fruit, make sure to take it out ahead of time to allow it to defrost. I have an hour wait time of when I take my morning medicine and when I can eat - that is usually plenty of time to let the fruit defrost. Or you can put it in a container in the fridge overnight and you should be good to go by shake time.

Next, pile in the yogurt and whey protein.

When buying Whey - I usually find it in the grocery store near the protein bars and Ensure. Find one that has 20-25g of protein per scoop. I started off with Vanilla because I had never tried whey protein before and it tasted really good. I bought chocolate once when they were all out of vanilla and man was it fantastic! I think it is going to be a LONG time before I switch back to vanilla. But the choice is yours!


Obviously I ran out of room before getting my spinach in, so it will have to wait until I make some room in the blender.

I use a "magic bullet" knock off that I found at Big Lots for $20. It works amazingly well and it definitely saved my wallet a huge chunk of change!

Blend that around until you have room for:

Now, you are going to have to trust me on this one. I was super hesitant to put spinach in my shake. I was told that you can't taste it at all and it is a great way to get a helping of veggies in your daily diet without even knowing it. I was a doubting Thomas, but I gave it a shot ready to toss it or hand it to the Doctor if I didn't like it. They were right...go figure! You absolutely cannot taste it and my helpings of spinach have gotten larger over time...still no taste! I am super excited because if you know me, you know I am not a veggie fan. Win one for nutrition here!

Just make sure to cut this up before putting it to the shake to make the blending process a little easier.

I forgot to take a pic of the cut up spinach or when I added it to the shake because I was so excited (and hungry) to get this thing made!


And TA-DA...the finished product.

I am reliving the shake process as I am typing and very tempted to go make another one for a mid-morning snack ;-)

This shake is super tasty and good for you. There are lots of ways you can add things to it. I tried putting some granola in after everything was blended but I wasn't a fan of the texture. I like to keep things plain and simple. Some people add milk or juice to their shakes. I have found this recipe to work for me but it is fun to experiment with other ways!

Happy Blending!


No comments:

Post a Comment